Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Traveling to Spangdahlem

I am going to be traveling to Spangdahlem in june 2010 for two weeks. I am trying to figure out the cheapest way to get there. I am willing to fly somewhere well out of the way, and then take a train to Spangdahlem. I noticed that if I try to fly out of Atlanta, to Frankfurt, and I set the date to june, it says around 1,000$ a ticket, I know that there has to be a better way than this. Can someone with some experince give me some advice please?




|||



Frankfurt (FRA) is the closest airport with intercontinental flights. Other options would be Amsterdam (AMS), Paris (CDG or ORY), Brussels (BRU) or Munich (MUC).





DB timetable



http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en



From: FRA



From: AMS



From: CDG



From: ORY



From: BRU



From: MUC



To: Tor, Spangdahlem





Tor = Gate (of the airbase)





In case of Paris you%26#39;ll get only prices from Paris Est or Paris Nord train stations. In the case of Brussels only from Bruxelles Nord station.





From German airports a Rail%26amp;Fly ticket is the best option.



bahn.de/international/…rail_fly.shtml





As Spangdahlem is rather a small village, the bus connections are not the best. Closest train stations are Bitburg-Erdorf and Wittlich Hbf.




|||



I take it you%26#39;re visiting a friend at the Air Force base? Here%26#39;s driving instructions, if that%26#39;s an option.





To Spangdahlem from Frankfurt





1. Exit the airport and follow the signs direction Weisbaden Autobahn A-3



2. Stay on Autobahn A-3 direction Koblenz



3. Once in the vesting of Koblenz you need to take the Koblenz Autobahn A-48 exit



4. Stay on Autobahn A-48 direction Trier



5. Take the Burgweiler/Wittlich exit #11 to A-60, Bitburg



6. Take the Spangdahlem exit and follow the signs to the base





Here%26#39;s a link of attractions that the AF has put together.



…af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp…




|||



Thanks for the rail and attractions advice! Right now, What I am wondering about, what is the cheapest way to fly in? I noticed that if I look at the airline tickets for a flight next week, it is around $600, but if I try and book now, it is $1000-$1200. I am wondering if I am trying to book way to early, or I am trying the wrong airport? What kinds of prices were you guys able to get flying from the east coast of the US, to Europe, or visa verse?




|||



I was at Spangdahlem last month. Couple of options:





1. Try flying IcelandAir into Luxembourg





2. Try flying into Brussels on USAirways





I normally fly into Frankfurt and then drive to Mosel/Spangdahlem/Trier





The time of year you are flying is expensive so I would expect to pay between $800-$1,000 per seat. Luxembourg is the closest to Spang but service is limited. If you can get into Luxembourg there is a shuttle that will take you to Bitburg and from Bitburg it is only 15 minutes over to Spangdahlem via bus or if visiting someone, they can pick you up pretty easy.





Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment