Wednesday, April 25, 2012

TR - great 1st time at Oktoberfest!!!

I thought I would write a quick review of our experience at Oktoberfest...





There were 4 of us who purchased an Oktoberfest Tour package through Ludus Tours (http://www.oktoberfesttours.com/). We went the last weekend of Oktoberfest and had an amazing time. The tour included:



-Hotel for 3 nights



-airport transfer to and from



-1st night meal - in our case a table reservation in one of the small tents



-Mike%26#39;s bike Tour (great!)



-Trip to Neuschwanstein castle



-table reservation in the Schottenhamel tent





Ludus was great and everything went very smoothly. We were pressed for time since it was only 3 nights but it was very worth it. An extra day or two would have made it even better. Since we were going to Prague and Innsbruck after Oktoberfest we kept it at the 3 nights...plus Oktoberfest ended on our last night.





We all stayed at the Hotel Uhland (one of the hotels Ludus used). I chose it based on the reviews here and how close it is to the Oktoberfest grounds. It is literally a block away! I will write a detailed review of the hotel when I get the chance but we had no real complaints with our choice





Mike%26#39;s Bike Tour - a great tour! I just wrote a review but it was probably the best thing we did our whole trip...outside of the beer tents of course





Neuschwanstein castle - a good trip although it took ALL day. We left early morning and didn%26#39;t get back until after 7pm. I am glad we saw it but it would have been nice if the trip was a little shorter.





Oktoberfest...ahhh...what can I say other than it was awesome!





The day that we got there (10/2) we went right to the Hofbraeuhaus tent. We got there around 2pm and quickly found standing room at the standing tables in the center of the tent. After a few minutes we were brought some liters and the taste of that first beer at Oktoberfest will be something I will never forget! The beer was cold and it tasted so good after the overnight flight. We stayed there a few hours until we had to go back to get ready for the night and we even ended back at the tent later that night.





Our second tent experience was at a smaller tent. It was at Pochner%26#39;s tent. It was part of our tour package also and a 1/2 chicken and 2 beers was included. The tent only holds about 350 people so it was vastly different than the Hofbraeu tent. The chicken here was delicious...although I am sure the several liters that day helped :) It was much better, food wise, than the Schottenhamel tent. After we ate and finished our beers we went back to the Hofbraeu to finish off the night





On our last night we had reservations in the Schottenhamel tent. Our table was upstairs, in the balcony, in the back. A cool experience to be up above everyone but kind of removed from all the %26quot;action%26quot;. After our 1/2 chicken and 2 beers (again included with our package) we made our way down to a couple open tables in the middle of the main section of the tent. There we drank more liters and sang along with the band until the tent closed. A perfect closing to our Oktoberfest experience!





Weather - we got amazing weather!!!! It was probably about mid 60%26#39;s to 70 every day it didn%26#39;t drop too much at night. They said it was the first time it didn%26#39;t rain at all for as far back as they can remember. I actually got a little color on my face which is something I didn%26#39;t expect. It also didn%26#39;t help that I was more prepared for cooler weather than what it was...but I am not complaining.





A couple of other notes:





Europeans love to smoke! The tents are a cloud of cigarette smoke by the end of the night. All my clothes stunk! They don%26#39;t smoke in restaurants in Munich but everywhere else it is much more prevalent than what it is in the US these days. Same goes for Prague and Innsbruck...it was far more worse than I expected. My lungs still hurt.





Bike path in Munich - watch out for bikers on the bike section of the sidewalk. More times than I can count I caught myself in the bike path side. Luckily I didn%26#39;t get run over :)





Expect plenty of broken glass in the tents. One or two people we were with got small cuts.





That is all I can think of at the moment. We wish we had a little more time to explore the grounds but I do not feel cheated. We were able to get into a couple of tents which was my main goal. I would definitley go back some day but not until my liver recovers a little :)





Let me know if there are any questions




|||



Nice TR srauhala.

No comments:

Post a Comment