Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Munich and Prague Dilemma!! Help Please

We will be coming from a river cruise in Passau to Munich.





DH wants to see Dachau and I want to go to Prague.





We get off the ship in Passau on Sunday morning and we have to fly home on Wed.





The ship offers an extension to Prague but since we would like to make a stop at Dachau we won%26#39;t be able to go with the ship extension.





My question is: Is Passau to Dachau to Prague doable in the time limits that we have? If so, how should we get around, trains, rent a car, etc? And how much will it cost?





Or should we skip Dahau and go to Prague?





I%26#39;ve got to decide soon as I%26#39;ve got to book airfare. Thanks for your help




|||



Can%26#39;t see the point of going to Dachau - i would not go to Guantanamo either - so go to Prague. It%26#39;s crowded w tourists but very beautiful.




|||



You could possibly rent a car and drive to Dachau, tour it, drive to Prague--but if you are flying out of Prague the out of country drop off fee would be very expensive.





You could look for a bus tour of Dachau and see how the return lines up with your planned transportation to Prague. Most of the experts posters state that the train is easier, faster, and cheaper than a flight.





Do you just want to see a concentration camp or specifically Dachau? I believe there is another concentration camp just outside of Prague--that of course, I can%26#39;t remember the name.





Dachau is closed on Mondays.




|||



I believe that any camp will be fine. Personally I don;t want to go but my DH does. I%26#39;m just going to stand there an cry!





I didn%26#39;t know that there was one outside of Prague I%26#39;ll see if I can find out the name. Thanks




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, October 10, 2009


|||



The name of the concentration camp near Prague is Terezin (Theresienstadt),





Please go to Prague. It is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.




|||



I recently faced this dilemna and decided to go to Munich (5th visit) rather than Prague. Flight options are better and though we have not yet been to Prague and did want to visit, some of what I have been reading just put me off.





We are getting off a river cruise in Nuremberg and training to Munich. From there we will do day trips to Mittenwald and Regensburg and then fly home.





As for Dachau, I have been twice and found it very moving. So I disagree with Frank who feels the opposite. I went for the first time at 16 and then again 5 years ago at 47. Both times I was affected by the experience.





Munich is less touristed than many large European cities and we really enjoy it and are looking forward to this return trip.




|||



Do you have a favorite place to stay in Munich?





What have you read that%26#39;s put you off of Prague?





I haven%26#39;t booked the air yet so I%26#39;m still open.




|||



Yes, we love the Sofitel Bayerpost for convenience, amenities and service. Le Meridien is my second choice.





I read quite a few posts and trip reports here and on Fodors.com that spoke about how tourists were being treated and how over touristed Prague has become over the last several years. It turned me off. I am sure it is a lovely city but just did not want to deal with that after what I am certain will be a lovely visit to Germany.





Germany has never disappointed and I prefer a city that has a more residential feel which we have found to be the case there. I also find it to be very clean and friendly and a perfect base to day trip into other parts of Bavaria - even Austria.





Also the airport in Munich is organized and excellent.




|||



Below is a link to the tour of Terezin from Prague:





tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g274710-d545…




|||



I thought the question was Dachau or Prague not Munich or Prague.





If you are seeing Munich anyway, adding another city would be far preferable IMO, Prague is a wonderful place to visit, I wouldn%26#39;t be put off by what people read in books.





Yes Prague is touristy but so is London, Rome %26amp; Paris. You can move away from the tourist throng quite easily. Missing Prague for the sake of visiting a concentration camp? Well you%26#39;d have to have a special family or personal reason to do that IMO. Maybe that%26#39;s why yor DH wants to go in which case some find a visit to Dachau essential.





Salzburg is also close by with easy rail link from Munich.





Stoofer

No comments:

Post a Comment