Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Munich to Venice - Help with booking

Hi all,



I am trying to book a ticket from Munich to Venice via Innsbruck.



I would like to leave Munich on the 22nd of Dec at around 9am, and then catch the 23.05 sleeper train from Innsbruck to Venice on the 23rd Dec. (So I will be spending a night in Innsbruck)



I thought that if I book it all as one ticket, it will work out cheaper for me.



I can get the selection to work, but it gives me a 06.39 train from Munich to Innsbruck.



I am wondering if this means I have to travel on this train, or if the ticket is flexible?



The terms on the website when I book state:



%26quot;Full flexibility (not a specific-train booking). Exchange and refund free of charge before 1st day of validity, exchange and refund charge of EUR 15 as from 1st day of validity.



Inkl. Nachtzugaufpreis, train with reservation obligation included (Fare incl. Res.), Through reservation not free of charge %26quot;





Which I take to mean that I can travel on any train on that route.





Also I get a fare of €456,40 for 4 people in a couchette, does this sound correct?



Will I be able to reserve the seats together?





Thanks in advance!




|||



Have you tried pricing the segments separately to see if you really ARE saving a significant amount of money?




|||



Hi,



I tried to book seperately but the fare is not available.



So I was wondering if this fare I found was a special fare?



Any suggestions would be welcome!





Thanks




|||



Give this task to the DB UK booking centre.



www.bahn.co.uk/db_uk/view/us/db_uk.shtml





For a night train you have basically 4 options:



a) night train global fare *)



b) night train discounted specials *) (e.g. SparNight)



c) standard train fare plus night train surcharge *)



d) discounted train fare plus night train surcharge *)





*) this fare/surcharge is independent from where you start. I.e. Munich to Venice is the same price like Innsbruck to Venice.





a) and b) are no options if you want a stopover in Innsbruck



c) will work, but this is not the cheapest option



d) a %26quot;planned%26quot; stopover may work depending on the discounted ticket conditions





Cheapest way to Innsbruck:



Munich Hbf dep 08:32



Innsbruck Hbf dep 11:23



if you use 3 tickets



1. Munich - Tutzing: MVV partner day ticket whole network EUR 18,00



reason: Bavaria Ticket is on weekdays only valid past 9am and Tutzing is the first stop past 9am



2. Tutzing - Mittenwald: Bavaria Ticket EUR 28,00



3. Mittenwald - Innsbruck: VVT single tickets EUR 7,10 per person



(you can buy this only from the (Austrian) conductor on the train)





The train is however direct. A bit slower than the EC trains on the main route, but the route via Mittenwald is much more scenic.



eisenbahnen.at/bilderalben/karwendelbahn.sht…





While for this scenario you don%26#39;t have to buy anything in advance, you should buy the Innsbruck to Venice part in advance (e.g. through the DB UK booking centre).




|||



Munich to Innsbruck costs €29.80 each on the direct train at 0832, but from Innsbruck to Venice the winter timetable is not out yet, so you won%26#39;t be able to book that leg at the moment - http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp just keep checking back as it should be up soon.



You can%26#39;t buy this ticket through DB. That price you have been quoted sounds a bit steep (have you been looking at RailEurope - if so, don%26#39;t) - the %26#39;special fare%26#39; on that route costs from €59 each oebb.at/pv/…index.jsp but if you keep checking the link I posted above for the next few days you will be first in line to get one of these special fares - it should be up and running any day now.




|||



Thank you so much for the replies.





So I should book the train from Innsbruck to Venice, and then I can buy the rest for the same price regardless of whether I book it in advance or not?





I would prefer not to book in advance for the shorter trips as it gives us a bit more flexibility, but if its going to be more expensive to not book in advance then I would rather do that.





Thanks




|||



I think you can safely assume that is the case - abalada should confirm.

No comments:

Post a Comment