Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Munich to Rothenburg via public transport?

Hello,





It%26#39;s been many years since I was last in Germany, and I%26#39;m looking to spend a week/10 days end of May/June time.





From Belfast, I can get flights to Munich, which I%26#39;ve not yet stayed in, so I plan on staying there for about 3 nights, but would love to return to Rotherburg.





Driving isn%26#39;t an option, so is it possible to travel from Munich by train, or perhaps bus?





I love Germany and it%26#39;s been too long since I%26#39;ve been back. I%26#39;ll be travelling on my own, which I enjoy, and would really appreciate any suggestions. I love the Rhine/Moselle and the beautiful old towns and castles.





As ever, I appreciate your advice.





Thank you!




|||



Reading through some other posts, I%26#39;d also appreciate any advice/suggestions as to other places to stay? I was thinking on basing myself in Rotherburg and travelling out on day trips from there - but would staying at say 1 or 2 other places for a couple of nights be better?





Again, thanks for your help




|||



I guess you DO mean Munich, not MOL%26#39;s %26quot;MUnich West (Memmingen).?





I think two nights in Rothenburg is plenty if you don%26#39;t have own transport.



I think 2-3 nights in Munich is also enough if you%26#39;ve a wanderlust, although you could stay a month in either place.



I don%26#39;t rate Wuerzburg much- although quite close to Rothenburg, but many do- it just doesn%26#39;t do it for me unless it%26#39;s just a day trip. Likewise Nuernburg.



You could stay around Fuessen (really Schwangau is the best place for castles etc), or in the %26quot;proper%26quot; Alps, Garmisch, Oberammergau and Mittenwald.




|||



Many thanks!





Yes - Munich - not sure of the other one?? :0)





I actually stayed in Wurzburg for a month, many years ago, it was from there I first went to Rothenburg. I think a few days in Munich and a couple in Rotherburg could be a plan.





Thanks again for the reply..




|||



Rothenburg ob der Tauber is very easy to reach by train from Munich.



Agree that two nights there is enough. I think that you could do a lot of nice days trips from the Munich area. Salzburg would be a great day trip.



Here%26#39;s my report about train travel in Germany. I%26#39;ve included it since it has links to the train websites.




|||



I would agree that reaching Ro-burg from Munich is pretty easy by train. However, be aware that you will almost undoubtedly have to change trains in Steinach..and that is EASY to do because



the Steinach station only has a few platforms and



depending on your timing, there is frequently a train destined for Ro-burg waiting on an adjoining track.





GO for it!




|||



I’m going from Munich to Rothenburg ob der Tauber myself in 2 weeks on the train. I found the www.bahn.de website very easy to use (just make sure you enter Rothenburg’s whole name as they are other cities in Germany with similar names) to look up train times. If you know your travel dates I’d recommend purchasing your ticket in advance on the website (that is what I did). The fastest way to get to Rothenburg by train is a combination of ICE %26amp; regional trains (takes 3 to 3 ½ hours) and if you book in advance you can get half off your tickets (29 euros versus 58 euros). If you need to be more flexible with your train times you can always purchase a full price ticket or use a Bavarian ticket (after 9 am on weekdays, all day on weekends; look for Länder-Tickets under Fares %26amp; Offers) for 20 euro, but using only regional trains, which the Bavaria ticket requires, will take you much longer.




|||



Many thanks for all your replies - certainly lots to work with!




|||



One bit of advice: try not to plan on taking the last train of the evening into Rothenburg. If any of your connections are late, you might have to scramble to get there. We missed a connection and were very lucky that the train agent was able to reroute us onto a train coming down the track at that very moment. Otherwise we couldn%26#39;t have made it there that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment