Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Traditional German Music

Hello,



I will shortly become an occasional visitor to Bonn (every couple of months).



I know it%26#39;s a bit touristy but I love Oompa Bands, Polkas, Alpine music (and the odd stein of good German Bier). While this is more widespread in Bavaria (which I visited and loved) are the any places in Bonn where I could see and hear this sort of band or group.



Thank you in advance.




|||



The Germans practice this with gusto during Oktoberfest, Karneval, Weinfest, Bierfest and whatever Fest needs to be celebrated. and while on holiday,, especially in Palma at the famous Ballerman on Playa de Palma. Drinking beer from the Stein is common and none of this is neither kitschy nor touristy either but part of german custom well liked by all levels of society and all ages.



Ask around while in Bonn, your hotel receptionist should be able to help.




|||



This kind of music will not be played in pubs or similar. Unless you come across a Volksmusik concert somewhere, chances are slim. The average German under, say, 70 hardly ever listens to this kind of music, with the exceptions mentioned in the first post.




|||



I am going to agree with Blandine, this kind of music and atmosphere is NOT enjoyed by groups of all ages and all over Germany. I have never seen people drinking from beer steins at any fest at all, and unless you are an old person, you do not listen to this kind of music.





Along the Rhine, you are more likely to see folks drinking wine than beer, though of course beer is popular too. Around Bonn, it will be Koelsch, and this is drunk from small glasses.




|||



My favored hang-out is the Bitburger Wirtshaus in Trier a short ride down the road where I live and half the beer there is consumed in Steins. Last week I was at a Brauhaus in Kaarst-Büttgen and they served beer in Steins. I should be in the Bonn area next week-end and I will have a look around.




|||



Thank all you guys for your advice.



As I am a senior citizen, I fall into the category of %26quot;oldie%26quot; I just love the music and spend far too long on YouTube or listening to my collection of German CD%26#39;s. Can%26#39;t beat the real thing though!



HikeyH

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post. I like this topic.This site has lots of advantage. It helps me in many ways.Thanks for posting this again. hotel frankfurt-oder

    ReplyDelete