Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Nurnberg Day Trip

Hello. I want to thank everyone in advance for the great advice I have received on this site. My partner and I are goping to be in Munich from December 17 through December 23. Our definite plans are as follows:





(1) Three full days of sightseeing in Munich (including the museums , the palaces, the churches, markets, and a side trip to Dachau).





(2) One long day trip to Salzburg.





For the final day, we are considering taking a train that will get us to Nurnberg by 10:47 (so as to use the Bayern Ticket and its 28 Euro proce). We were planning on doing the following:





(1) Nazi Documentation Center and Rally Grounds



(2) Craftsman Courtyard



(3) St. Lawrence Cgurch



(4) Old Town Walk including Market Square (Christmas Fair)



(5) Germanic National Museum





We would then have dinner at Bratwurstglocklein and take a late night train back to Munich.





My question: do you think this would be a worthwhile day? Any suggested modifications to the plan? If you were in Munich would there be any other excursions in place of this? I know Neuschwansteing is often mentioned but it seems like a long trip to get to a castle where the entire interior tour last 30 minutes.





I%26#39;d appreciate any and all feedback.





Danke




|||



One of our most wonderful day trips from Munich over the past three trips was our day last December in Garmisch. It was picture postcard lovely and just a delight at the holidays.





This year we are doing Mittenwald and Regensburg as day trips and will be over nighting in Nuremberg before heading to Munich.





We love stunning scenery so a trip into the Bavarian countryside is a must for us.




|||



The Nazi Documentation center deserves at least two hours of your time, and that doesn%26#39;t include the parade ground. I have a review if you click my name. Also, the sun sets at about 16:30 in December. It%26#39;s going to get dark quick, so that needs to factor into your day trip.




|||



I would leave out the Documentation Center. Arriving at 10:47, you are already getting a late start and it would be a rush to fit in all the other Nuremberg sights.




|||



Thanks all. I have come up with a solution. I have rearranged schedule so I can travel to Nurberg on a weekend (Sunday) and thus take an earlier train still using the Bayern ticket (what a bargain). Thus, I will be arriving in Nurnberg around 8:45 AM and that should allow me to see the Documentation Center and also most of the Old City sites.





One question: while I would certainly walk around the outside of the Imperial Castle Buildings, most of the reviews suggest that the interior may not be worth the hassle, cost and time of taking one of the 90 minute tours (in German which I do not speak). What do you think? WOuld the extyra time be better spent, for example, seeing more of the Old Town or an extended visit to the Germanic museum?





Thanks




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. At this time, posts on the TripAdvisor forums cannot be edited, but the author of a post may request that it be removed. This allows the author to repost the message if desired.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Removed on: 9:16 pm, October 14, 2009


|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. At this time, posts on the TripAdvisor forums cannot be edited, but the author of a post may request that it be removed. This allows the author to repost the message if desired.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Removed on: 9:16 pm, October 14, 2009


|||



After reading your last question, you asked about the castle tour! If I knew how to delete, I would. I have not toured the interior of the castle so I can not advise. On a side note, there are apparently four Starbucks in the altstadt, which made my wife happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment