Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Dresden or Frankfurt

Will be traveling from Prague at the end of our European vacation next spring. We are flying out of Frankfurt, departing at 5:25 p.m. We were originally planning on overnighting in Frankfurt the night before, but another option would be to overnight in Dresden, and then take the train to the Frankfurt airport the day of our flight. In our travel books, Dresden appears more charming (however, travel books can be misleading). On the other hand, if we do Dresden, we will be traveling by train straight to the airport, to get on a plane to San Francisco. That is a lot of time sitting. Thoughts?






|||



How much time will you have in Dresdon? Can you spend the day there and then take a late afternoon or early evening train to Frankfurt? Flying out the next day? I do think that Dresdon would rate higher on the charm list then Frankfurt, much as I love this city. :-))





I also would not want to be that far away from my city of departure on the day that I fly, let alone all the sitting that entails. You would have to plan on being at the airport by 14:30 or so.




|||



I agree with Bornheimgirl: I am nomally also partial to Frankfurt, but as a city to visit, Dresden has it over Frankfurt. But you should be able to spend at least a day in Dresden. There is so much to see and appreciate.





I would be very uncormfortable if I didn%26#39;t have at least half a day from my planned arrival in Framkfurt to my scheduled plane departure. Although German trains are usually very punctual, things can happen, especially if the Dresden - Frankfurt train originates somewhere east of Dresden.




|||



It can be done; I talk from experience: Check this web



myczechrepublic.com/czech-train-tickets.html



Take earliest train you can get from Prague, book a hotel close to station; book a ticket to the Airport in Frankfurt. Dresden is definitely more charming than Frankfurt...




|||



Dresden is far more charming than Frankfurt but deserves more than a few hours. The train ride to Frankfurt will be something in the range of 4.5 to 5 hours and that route is a bit notorious for delays. Generally speaking, I%26#39;d favour Dresden, but in your case I would recommend staying closer to the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment