Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Christmas Markets near Frankfurt Hahn

Hello,



My Fiancee and I have booked flights to Frankfurt-Hahn for 5th-7th December to experience the German Christmas Markets. Can anyone recommend a town/city closer to F-H than Frankfurt that would offer as good if not better christmas market experience. Because it is a short break, the less travelling we have to do the better. We%26#39;re mostly looking for somewhere that has a good atmosphere, nice restraunts and is easy and relaxed to stroll around.





Thanks




|||



I can suggest Trier, it%26#39;s a smaller town with a small market but good atmosphere and good for a one day visit, one hour by shuttle bus from Hahn.



http://flyhahn.com/



http://www.trierer-weihnachtsmarkt.de/




|||



If Trier (105.000 inhabitants) is a smaller town, what is than Bernkastel-Kues (6.700 inhabitants)?





Bernkastel-Kues (nice medieval town)



bernkastel.de/new2008/cms/front_content.php…



Close to the airport (~ 25 km), the public transport connections are however not good.





Christmas Market



http:/www.weihnachtsmarkt-bernkastel-kues.de




|||



Trier%26#39;s is good, but it is pretty small and would play out quickly. I%26#39;d send you to Mainz, where the market takes place on the large, pedestrians-only Marktplatz, and there%26#39;s much more going on; if you had time for another, Rüdesheim is gorgeous with its market strung out along the towns narrow streets.




|||



My personal choice would be Trier and Bernkastel, just because I enjoy the area. I might also look into Koln if you wanted to do a larger city.





I think the shuttle from Hahn to Koln is about 2hr. and 15 minutes and 15 Euro costs.




|||



I will be going to frankfurt on the 5 th dec to 11th dec . How far is Trier from fankfurt and which public transport is best?





I would like to visit Heidlberg too. Any transport suggestions pls





Thanks from Malta




|||



I’m not sure if you mean Frankfurt Hahn or Frankfurt. If Frankfurt then I definitely say Wiesbaden. Mainz is nice too but Wiesbaden is a little less harsh (architecturally) then Mainz in my opinion. ~PLUS Wiesbaden is a thermal town which we haven%26#39;t tapped into in Ireland and you could have the most amazing bathing experiences in the thermal baths - outdoors (heated) and indoors in the middle of the cold Christmassy temperatures. The market too in Wiesbaden is a winter wonderland dream and a little less packed then poor ol Frankfurt. Check out the delicious potato rosti’s with apple sauce.




|||



Sorry, just noticed you actually said Frankfurt Hahn. But none the less perhaps my post could help.

No comments:

Post a Comment