Thursday, April 19, 2012

USAF Hospital Wiesbaden

I was stationed at the hospital in Wiesbaden 1979-1981. What a great place. Looking for others stationed there. I understand the hopsital is closed. Is it being used for anything?





The Amelia Earhart Hotel, is that still open?





Contact garym9@verizon.net




|||



I was Army, not Air Force, and stationed at 4 hospitals in Germany, but always in a Green suit. We were last assigned to Bremerhaven and Nürnberg 1980-1983. Nürnberg was closed as well and I know that an appartment complex replaced it.





I can not argue with the dollars and cents justification of closing facilities in Germany. The mission is sensibly being reduced along with the threat. Still, it is with a bit of sadness that I know that so many fewer service personnel and their families will have the opportunity to live in Germany for an extended time. It gave me a connection with the Germans as co-workers and friends that I would have had no other way.





My wife and I regarded Germany as one of the high points of our marriage, traveling with a daughter that was born in Bremerhaven. My wife and I revisited Germany alone this last spring. This next summer we intend to return with our 2 %26quot;kids%26quot;. The kids (21 and 18) will surely enjoy the sights but still have no idea of the sense of community that arises in military facilties and with their German hosts.





I wish you luck in finding others that were stationed at Wiesbaden.





Regards, Gary




|||



To my knowledge the hospital building is now used as Polizeipräsidum Westhessen (police headquarter of West Hesse).




|||



A great deal of history in Wiesbaden. Thanks for the updates and look forward about hearing more. My wife and I hope to visit germany soemday so i can show her some of my old stomping grounds. I imagine a lot has changed in 26 years.




|||



Yes the Hospital was turned over to the German government, was fully refurbished and is now the Hesse polizei headquarters. Amelia Earhart is now owned by the US Army and is used as an office building for various organizations. I work there.




|||



It is so funny that you wondered the same thing as well. My parents and I were stationed there from 1986 thru 1989. I wondered if the hotel was open as well. I found the housing area that I lived in near the Commisary and PX. Do you remember the stand that was across the street from the AE Hotel where you could get great bratwurst and currywurst.





Anyways, I am wondering that same. Is the Hotel still open? I had heard that the hosp was closed.





plemley-@adelphia.net




|||



Sorry- just saw the postings after I wrote. I see that answers to my questions. I was just looking at the Google satellite pixs of everything in Weisbaden. Pretty interesting.




|||



Hi, I was born in a USAF Hosiptal in Weisbaden in 1965. My parents have passed and the information was cloudy when it was passed on to me.





My birth certificate just says Department of State Foreign Service of the US of A and that I was born at Wiesbaden, Hesse, Germany.





That%26#39;s it. I Is it possible to find out what hospital I was born in? I don%26#39;t know what time I was born or anything. My parents were not very good record keepers and didn%26#39;t have very good memory either.




|||



I was stationed at the hospital from 1977 -80. I was in Radiology and it was one of the best times of my life. I work with a physicist here that was stationed there in the 80%26#39;s. There are some pictures posted on classmates.com in the Wiesbaden Regional Medical Center site. The Imbys stand next to the Amelia was Walter%26#39;s. Many a brat and Schnitzel sandwich and of course beer there. Remember the tunnels under the hospital? I always heard they originally went to the Baunhauf and were used to move wounded troups during WWII.





Contact luscombemd@yahoo.com




|||



I was stationed first at the Air base then at Lindsey 1975-76 and remember the stand across from the Amelia. from what Ive heard the Amelia is something else now.I had a friend Rod Rodman that worked at the hospital.I think heineberg is still there but the officer hotel is different and Lindsey is something else. Brings back many memories...Im gonna try to go back this aug for the winefest...all the rheingaus towns bring their wine to taste and buy to Wiesbaden on the pedestian walkway




|||



My sister and her husband plan to go back in Aug of 08 to see everything. I hope to be able to sometime. I want to show my husband where i grew up. We lived in the Amelia E. Hotel for several months waiting for housing. I have went to google and type in my old address and have been able to look at satalite footage of the whole area. It%26#39;s just so neat. I really miss it. Being an armybrat was hard with always moving, but those where the best years as a kid. I can remember taking the shuttle from Weisbaden to Mainz (Lee Barracks) all the time.



2 comments:

  1. Stationed at Med Center on 3W/Med/Peds until asbestos removal and remodel.

    Then moved to what we referred to as 3 far east ward.

    I was stationed there when the last of the Hostages from Lebanon were released.

    Many good people. Miss most Julie, Leonard and Anka.

    tbykth@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW The restaurant out the back gate had the best Scnitzel

    ReplyDelete