Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Visiting Bavaria

Hello, while in Munich I want to visit the Bavarian Alps and caslte Neuschwanstein. What is the best way to get there from central Munich? and should I spend an overnight?




|||



Hi coreyhasan,





How many days do you have for your trip? How many things will you be doing in München itself?





When you visit the mountains, what would you like to do -- hike for a few hours, stroll through a village at the base, or ascend by cable car and enjoy a mountaintop restaurant?





You can get the basic route and schedule information at the German train site,





www.bahn.de





To see the Alps, you may want to go to Mittenwald or Garmisch-Partenkirchen.





Have fun!





s




|||



Train to Fussen, bus from Fussen to Schwangau to Neuschwanstein. I would spend an overnight (either in Schwangau or Garmisch). It is beautiful place to wake up with the alps around you and depending on the time of year, snow or a fog in the air. Depending on time you have to do this go down to Neuschwanstein on one day, spend the night then head over to Garmisch for day 2 and late afternoon head back to Munich. The bahn site above will give you the schedules to and from everywhere.




|||



We prefer to base in Munich and explore on day trips. We minimize the packing and changing hotels to economize on time and we like the many options for dining and nightlife in Munich.





We are doing this again in December though we considered a couple of nights in Mittenwald. For us, we enjoy the cities as bases as we like lots of variety.




|||



Hello, thanks for getting back with me. I will be in Munich for 3nites/4days. I want to take the cable car ride to the mountain top and also visit the Neuschwanstein castle. I will be in Germany summer 2010.




|||



Hello, thank you very much for the information. There is so much to see and do I%26#39;m having difficulty deciding what to do.








|||



I just did this trip with my family. We left from the main train station. There is a train that leaves for Fuessen every hour (at about 19 after the hour.) Some trains require a transfer half way. Some are direct. Either takes about 2 hours and 20 minutes. The information booth at the train station will print out a train schedule for the trip there and the return trip in English. It works very well.



We stayed two nights in Hohenschwangau (next to the castles). It%26#39;s a 10 euro cab ride from the Fuessen train station. The taxis and the buses are directly to the right as you exit the station. Also there is a friendly bicycle rental place on the left in the train station. You can bike to the castles (and around the lake Forgensee)



Despite the ease of using the train system, I regretted not getting a car rental. It would have been easier and faster, and we would have been able to see more (town of Schwangau, Fuessen, perhaps Mittenwald, etc) The towns are quiet and it was necessary to call at the hotel for a taxi and those fares do add up. I think that the buses are rather infrequent. (I never saw the bus though I know it runs!)




|||



Hi again,





Well, with four nights, you really only have two full days and two half-days (one arrival day and one departure day). Where are you coming from and going to (perhaps you could do one of your excursions enroute)?





I would think you have time for only one excursion outside of the city -- either to the Alps and a nice walk or to the castles.





I realize that one can %26quot;see%26quot; more with a car -- but who wants only to accumulate places? To me, that%26#39;s not really experiencing a place but only seeing it superficially. I like to travel slowly, to really enjoy where I am and soak up the ambiance with the views. I think the memories are better and stronger that way, and you are left with a stronger impression of where you were.





Anyway, good luck with this tough choice!





s




|||



Thank you again, I will be coming from Dresden into Munich. I can always add another day to Munich and take one from Dresden. I was thinking that once I%26#39;ve arrived in Munich to head for Bavaria for 2 days to experience the Alps and castle and then spend 2 days in Munich.




|||



Hi coreyhasan,





Oh gosh. I love Dresden too. I%26#39;ve only been there twice, but each time I go, I like it more and plan a longer return visit. How many days will you stay in Dresden? I would think you should plan on three or four days there as a minimum.





If you do spend a few days in the Alps, I would recommend either my town (Garmisch-Partenkirchen) or Mittenwald. There are direct busses from here to Füssen, and connections (with one change) to Linderhof. Mittenwald, though, has a nicer ambiance and landscape imo.





Anyway, tough decision. I don%26#39;t think you can go wrong with whatever you decide though!





s




|||



caviargirl%26#39;s suggestion has the advantage that you can be flexible around the weather. You want to go to Fuessen, and definitely Garmisch, when the weather is good and the mountains are clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment