Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Christmas Market recommendation

Hey all,





I%26#39;m trying to decide to which Christmas market to go to. Last year I went to Munich which I really liked but this year I want to try something different. I will only have 1 day to spend and these are my options (due to work):



Stuttgart



Frankfurt



Berlin



Dusseldorf



Hamburg



Vienna





Any advice will be extremely appreciated!!!!!!!!!





Thank you so much!




|||



Just to get you started all I can say is I have been to Munich and Frankfurt on that list during the Christmas market seasons. We had an elderly couple with us when we went to Frankfurt and although we all loved, loved Frankfurt, they were overwhelmed by the crowds - I found it a bit hassely also so we opted for smaller town/cities thereafter. However I am sure others will be able to advise you more. So far, our favourite place and it’s not on your list but worth a mention is Karlsruhe/Baden Baden which we can reach by Ryanair on fantastically cheap direct flights. I think that this was pretty special and of course the thermal baths are a major bonus.




|||



With just 1 day to spent I would recommend



1. Stuttgart



2. Düsseldorf



3. Frankfurt




|||



Besides the Stuttgart ( www.stuttgart-tourist.de ) Christmas Market ( www.stuttgarter-weihnachtsmarkt.de only in German) which is one of Germany%26#39;s largest, oldest, most visited and most beautiful, there are two other large themed Christmas Markets 15 minutes away by public transportation in the form of the S-bahn: Esslingen ( www.esslingen.de ) Medieval %26amp; Christmas Market set in the excellently preserved medieval center of this town; and Ludwigsburg ( www.ludwigsburg.de ) Baroque Christmas Market set near Germany%26quot;s largest perfectly preserved Baroque palace. If you have a full day, the Stuttgart market can take up your entire time, but it woud also be possible to combine it with the Esslingen Market which I also particularly enjoy.




|||



I have been there only once for a couple of minutes (though my parents live there), but I know lots of people who really enjoyed the mediaeval themed christmas market in Esslingen.





For a short piece of text in English have a look at …esslingen.de/servlet/…index.html You can also watch a short film about the christmas market on …esslingen.de/servlet/…index.html but perhaps you might want to skip the latter in order to not spoil the surprise ;-)





As marcopolko already pointed out, it is very easy to go to Esslingen from Stuttgart by public transport.

No comments:

Post a Comment