Thursday, April 12, 2012

Best Accommodation in the Old Town

Hi Everyone,





This is my first post, so please be gentle! ;-)





I did quite some searching and have used the Tripadvisor interactive map service, but am really looking to get some first-hand personal opinions on places.





I am taking my partner to Cologne for the Xmas markets on the 27-29th November this year, and was looking into the accommodation options. If I%26#39;m not mistaken I believe that I should be looking for somewhere around the old town. I was looking at the Marriott, but thought something with a bit more quaintness and charm about it and located IN the old town might add to the atmosphere a bit.





Does anyone have any recommendations either from first hand experience or from clear recommendations from friends?





I can get the Marriott for £118/night, so anywhere up to around this price (or perhaps even a shade higher) would be ok, but I%26#39;d like something that can really help us capture the %26#39;magic%26#39; of the history of the place.





Many thanks for any help!!!!





Damian.




|||



We will be there from the 26th to the 29th and had the same dilema. We ended up booking the Pullman, I doubt it will have any quaintness or charm but we got sick of looking and just went for it. Hope you find something good.




|||



http://www.hrs.de/web3/?client=en__koelntour





This is the booking office with the office of tourism in Cologne -- very reliable, and exhaustive. You can sort it on a variety of criteria.





I have always stayed in small, independent hotels -- but the Hotel Excelsior Ernst and the Dom-Hotel are both well-known as higher-end properties.




|||



I have stayed several times at the Pulman ( I think it is now the Sofitel). I agree with Suewick about ambiance, but it has the perfect location without the prices of Excelsior, Maritim and Dom Hotel.




|||



Consider the IBIS at Barbarossaplatz, 2 train stops from Neumarkt where you will be going for the Xmas markets. The rooms are small and so is the price but otherwise spotless with great breakfast. If you come by car you can park in the underground garage for € 8 per day. Just came back from a stay there.




|||



http://www.hotel-roemerhafen.de/





Lovely family run hotel.%26quot; minutes from the market in the Aldstadt.5 minutes from the train station.

No comments:

Post a Comment