Sunday, April 15, 2012

When to buy a ticket Strasbourg - Stuttgart



I just looked at tickets from Strassbourg - Stuttgart (on both the French TGV page and the German Bahn.de page), and both confirm that the train I need is currently 41 euros.





If I wait until the day of travel, will the price be something close to 41 euros? I don%26#39;t mind paying a few extra euros for last minute flexibility, but if the price will double, I would rather just buy it now.





(Similarly, is it a bad idea to wait until the day of travel to buy tickets from Stuttgart to Baden-Baden and then from Baden-Baden to Frankfurt? This will be for next weekend.)





Thanks in advance.




|||



First, the limited cheap offers sell out quickly, usually soon after the 89 days before travel when they first become available. Within Germany, if you aren%26#39;t using one of these tickets, then you might as well purchase the train ticket just before traveling as trains cannot sell out, you just might not have a seat.



You can do this trip from Strasbourg cheaper by buying a ticket to Kehl just across the Rhine in Germany, and then use a Baden-Wuerttemberg day train ticket from there to Stuttgart, 19€ single or 28€ for 2-5 people traveling together. However, with this ticket you cannot use the high speed IC, EC or ICE trains, and can only travel after 9AM on weekdays. To look at the train schedules for using this ticket on www.bahn.de select only local transportation. This ticket also allows the use of any public transportation within Baden-Wuerttemberg including the buses, U-bahns, and S-bahns in Stuttgart.




|||



%26gt;If I wait until the day of travel, will the price be something close to 41 euros? I don%26#39;t mind paying a few extra euros for last minute flexibility, but if the price will double, I would rather just buy it now.





Not %26quot;something close%26quot; - it will be these 41 €. There are no %26quot;last minute prices%26quot;, only full price and advance discounts (the latter sell out very quickly and are inflexible). The full price tickets are always available, cannot %26quot;sell out%26quot; and are not bound to a specific train.





%26gt;(Similarly, is it a bad idea to wait until the day of travel to buy tickets from Stuttgart to Baden-Baden and then from Baden-Baden to Frankfurt? This will be for next weekend.)





No, this is what most people do (including me) all the time.




|||



Along the same lines, I have a train question or two.





We will visit friends in Stuttgart in May %26#39;10 for a few days. We are flying in from Athens to Munich. My initial plan is to take the train to Stuttgart so we can enjoy the scenery. I have read the train specials but I do not understand the zones and the certain areas. Can we get one of the %26quot;day tickets%26quot; for the two of us on a Monday? (I did see the weekend specials). We will get to Munich at 3PM ish. We would travel to the main station in Stuttgart and our friends would pick us up there---of course, unless something goes wrong between now and then.





On the way back to Munich, I think it would be easier to fly. We need to be there for a 1230 hrs flight back to the US. I see the one flight on Lufthansa but I am having trouble finding any other company. There is a 0930 flight which would meet our needs nicely. Should I book it now? I am afraid that it will be booked if I wait.





Advice welcome. I have a couple of other questions but I will start a new thread. Thanks.




|||



Have you already booked the flight to Munich and from Munich?



If not you could check if you can get Rail%26amp;Fly tickets from your airline.



bahn.de/international/…rail_fly.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment