Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Beer Hall Etiquette

I have 2 questions on the procedure for ordering at the Kolsch beer halls. I understand that the Kobes will bring beer to me and bring additional rounds as needed, until I indicate that I am finished by placing the beer coaster on top of the glass. What a terrific system! However, my wife does not drink alcohol and will usually order bottled water or a cola. My questions are:





1. How does my wife indicate to the Kobes that she does not wish to be served beer?





2. Should she give her soft drink order to the Kobes, or are there separate waiters to bring other drinks and handle food orders?





I would like to have a good grasp on the etiquette for this matter, as we plan to make frequent visits to the Kolsch bars when we visit Koln in January, 2010.




|||



1. How does my wife indicate to the Kobes that she does not wish to be served beer?





What about talking to him? These guys usually can speak, too :-)





And no, it%26#39;s a beer hall and not an upscale restaurant, sou you don%26#39;t have specialized waiters for different kind of things. The same waiter will take your orders for food, beer or soft drinks.




|||



My question is: what is a Kobes?





Been here a really long time, have been to Cologne a hundred times and I have never heard this word? Am I missing something? Some Kölsh dialect?




|||



Köbes



http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6bes





Keeps the beer flowing - despite the small classes (0,2 liter %26quot;Stangen%26quot;) they use in Cologne. Furthermore a Köbes should be able to speak Kölsch (the Cologne dialect). And to be quite gruffy is also a must.

No comments:

Post a Comment