Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Day Trip Salzburg or Regensburg which would be best

Hi we will be in Munich this weekend for a long weekend break and we have only 1 day free to do a day trip out of Munich.





Thinking of using the regional train service but we can%26#39;t decide between Salzburg or Regensburg.





Any advice will be appreciated.





Thanks




|||



You cannot go wrong with either, it is a win-win situation. A few questions that may help deciding:



Do you prefer...





baroque (Salzburg) or medieval (Regensburg)?



castle (Salzburg) or gothic cathedral (Regensburg)?



sweet pastries (Salzburger Nockerln) or grilled mini sausages on kraut (Regensburger Wurstküche)?



mountains (Salzburg) or large river (Regensburg)?



Mozart music (Salzburg) or centuries of German history (Regensburg)?




|||



Salzburg is more attractive with a great old castle perched above the city and many Baroque buildings. It also has many more tourists. The old town is a moderate walk from the train station.





Regensburg has a wonderful Gothic cathedral and the feel of a medieval town with narrow streets connecting plazas. I really like the waterfront on the Danube. My wife enjoyed a tour of the Thurn and Taxis palace (the former St. Emmerams monastery). It has fewer tourists, especially English speaking tourists. The train station is just two blocks from the pedestrian zone where the major sights are located.





I like Regensburg better but believe that I am in a minority. Both are very nice and very old. Both were major players in the history of early Bavaria. Tons are written about both. Visit the one that fires your imagination. You will not likely be disappointed.





Regards, Gary




|||



Both are very nice cities, Regensburg with the pedestrian zone; kind of mediaval ambiance;fewer foreign visitors, friendlier. If you are taking train, I would pick Regensburg,, I am sure you%26#39;ll enjoy it.




|||



The train provides easy access to both so I do not understand the comment about Regensburg being prefereable on that score. Salzburg is reached in 90 minutes from the Munich Hbf, Regensburg in 60.





I am a big fan of Salzburg. It is charming, pedestrian friendly, a lovely city with lots of offer. Regensburg has more of a historical presence IMO.





I have spent a good deal of time in Salzburg over the past 30 years and it is one of my favorite cities in Europe. I suggest you read up on these two very different cities and decide which appeals more to you.




|||



Tough choice. Either would be a wonder way to spend the day. If I was going for the first time and not sure if I would ever get back I would probably choose Salzburg, but if I ever did get back I would make sure to get to Regensburg!




|||



Does Passau have a good train service?. Then you have baroque and the Danube! We liked Passau more than Regensburg (Salzburg is 18 years back so hard to compare)



Actually at Passau where the rivers join the River Inn seemed to be the bigger river so we wondered how it continues as the Danube not the Inn.

No comments:

Post a Comment